Fox Ghost Trans Sangha in San Francisco
Trans Sangha is a meditation and discussion group by and for trans people. Beginners and newcomers are always welcome. Meetings will include brief introductions, meditation, and discussions about Buddhist/meditation practice.
Great! We welcome all trans people. Here’s what you should know:
- Calendar, meeting times, and location
- Join the Signal group. This is a read-only group chat on Signal where we drop updates and reminders about the group. It’s our alternative to an email list.
- Covid and accessibility info, masks required.
- We are a scent-free community, meaning you should not arrive with any strong scents on you such as perfume/cologne, smoke, essential oils, or heavy detergents.
- Hang out after the meeting for some tea, cookies, and a chance to get to know each other. You must consume outside. Please do not remove masks in the building.
- Meetings typically have around 10-20 in attendance
- No dress code, comfy clothes recommended. You will be required to remove your shoes to enter the meditation area, so consider slip-ons (shoes may be left on for accessbility purposes, let a facillitator know).
The group is co-facilitated by temple resident Kei Van Arnam and former resident Eleanor Shonin Rykener, both white trans women. We are students in the Soto Zen Buddhist lineage. Please feel free to say hi before or after meetings!
We are not Buddhist teachers.
The meditation instructions we give in the group is based on or inspired by Shikantaza (Silent Illumination), the traditional meditation practice of Soto Zen. You are not required to meditate in that tradition in order to participate. All we ask is that you remain silent during the meditation period.
For the time being we will be providing light, guided meditation during our 20-30 minute meditation sessions.
If you would like to receive more in-depth meditation instruction please let one of the facilitators know. Meditation should be inclusive, we will attempt to adapt the instruction to any specific needs.